The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and do everything in my power to inform the intended victim(s).
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in insuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law in order to ensure their safety.
- Suspected child abuse/neglect or dependant adult or elder abuse/neglect, for which I am required by law to report to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- Also, if I have a reasonable suspicion that you have knowingly developed, duplicated, printed, downloaded, streamed, accessed through any electronic or digital media, or exchanged, a film, photograph, videotape, video recording, negative, or slide in which a child (under the age of 18) is engaged in an act of obscene sexual conduct, I am legally mandated to report this suspected abuse to the appropriate agency. (CA Penal Code Sec 11165.1).
- Other exceptions to confidentiality may occur, dependent upon your circumstances.
If you have specific questions about confidentiality and privacy please contact me at the following link.